When to start training again after being sick.

I really appreciate the kind words of support and encouragement, folks.  I really do.  Murphy's law, the cold I was valiantly fighting off in Virginia overcame my defenses almost as soon as I got off the plane in Texas.  I spent all of last week working from home in an effort not to be Typhoid Mary at the office and the gym.  I even took yesterday off.  But I'm back in the office today, and I plan on hitting the gym at noon.  AND, I plan on watching class tonight if I don't actually participate.

So that's my question to you-- when you've been sick, how do you decide when it's okay to get back on the mats?  When I was obsessed (in my previous jiu jitsu life) I would train as soon as I could breathe through my nose again-- even if I was still "a little sick"-- not because I didn't care about my teammates but because I convinced myself I wasn't contagious any more, and I was dying to get back to my friends, my support network, my fun.  But now I'm torn-- I want to train because I said I would, dammit, and because even my couch and my kindle are losing a bit of their luster, and because my husband is going back to his academy tonight so what do I get out of sitting around the house?  But I also want to be nice-- and while I can totally breathe through my nose, I have an annoying "hrm, hrm" kind of throat-clearing going on too repeatedly to hide or ignore.

So what say you, my friends?  I can go in streetclothes and sit on the side and just watch (and enjoy the welcome-back smiles sans hugs) or I can go in a gi and take meds before class and do my best not to clear my throat much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment