Exercise: What makes a good coach in BJJ?

Julia Johansen posted an exercise she learned from "Magical" Ray Elbe on her blog today.  The essential question she posed to him was, what do you look for when you promote someone to blue belt?  Among other factors, the most interesting part of his answer (imho) was: "when you give someone a belt, you’re passing on YOUR lineage."

She continues:

"Then he did an exercise with me. This was taught to him by Marcos Avellan, a BJJ black belt who guest taught at Ray’s gym for a month, and which I now pass it along to you, because it’s really freaking cool. . . . [M]ake a list of everything you want in your ideal BJJ coach."

This is especially timely as I have done more and more thinking about what "quality coaching" entails.  Partially because I just switched academies, partially because of Megan's post the other day on what it takes to start a successful BJJ academy.

So here's my list--
  • excellent technique (gotta know it to be able to teach it!)
  • can teach to different types of learners effectively-- visual, aural, kinesthetic
  • kind, compassionate
  • good listening skills, observant
  • humble, self-critical
  • detail-oriented
  • patient
  • adaptable, flexible
  • dedicated
  • has competition experience
  • good judgment-- of character, of business decisions, knows when to push you and when to hold back
Next step: "Okay – now go through it and write a T next to anything that is a TRAIT (ie. dealing with personality) and an S next to anything that is a SKILL, anything that needs to be gained/learned."

But I had a hard time with this.  Some seemed "personality" oriented but I believe they can be learned behaviors also.  Hmmmm.
 
S            excellent technique
S             can teach to different types of learners effectively-- visual, aural, kinesthetic
T            kind, compassionate
S (T?)    good listening skills, observant
T (S?)    humble, self-critical
T           detail-oriented
T           patient
T           adaptable, flexible
T           dedicated
S           has competition experience
S&T!   good judgment-- of character, of business decisions, knows when to push, etc.

The conclusion: "Then Ray pointed at the TRAITS and said if you’re looking for a coach who is friendly, accessible, knowledgeable, understanding, etc, then promote based on that list. So someone could be a total genius at jiu jitsu at white belt, but if they’re a complete tool they will be a white belt for a VERY long time. This made so much sense to me. If I am passing on a LINEAGE to someone, they’re going to be a reflection of me. If I were a black belt, I wouldn’t give some toolbag my lineage. I would give it to people who I would be proud to attach my name to."


Well.  I like it.  And yet I find it leaves me still... reaching.  It seems to add a welcome focus on "moral character" to promotion decisions, which is great.  But still doesn't tell me anything about the "readiness" to be a new belt level.  It's a floor, perhaps, but not the ceiling-- if that makes sense.

Share your list of what makes a good coach in BJJ.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment